Monday 11 August 2008

A voice from the 1850s

“Rose early, according to my custom, and surveyed my new dwelling with a particular sort of satisfaction. ‘No rent to pay for you,’ said I; ‘no taxes, thats pleasant; no poor rates, thats a comfort; and no one can give me a warning to quit, and thats another comfort; and its my own thank God, and thats the greatest comfort of all.’ I caste my eyes on the plain before me, and saw my flock of sheep studding the plain, with my working bullocks at a little distance…As we sat at breakfast that morning in my rude cottage, with the bare walls of logs of trees and the shingle rough above us, all rough enough but spacious, and a little too airy, I began to have a foretaste of that feeling of independence and security of home and subsistence which I have so many years enjoyed.”

A pioneer settlers’ writing quoted in Derrick Stone and Donald Garden, Squatters and Settlers.

No comments: