Sunday 1 April 2007

Contemporary Views















In order to provide some orientation (and to play with my new digital camera), here are some contemporary shots of Marburg district. This is looking from the side of Two Tree Hill towards the township (which lies to the right) and the distant D’Aguilar Ranges. Brisbane lies on the other side of the mountains. You can see the Warrego Highway to Toowoomba and points west (and north – Darwin is only some 3,400ish kilometres) which now bisects the town. The second view is looking southeast from Two Tree Hill down into the Marburg Valley. As you can see, the area is largely clear of trees with most trees being regrowth. There is some residual scrub on the slopes of Perry’s Nob (yes really!), to the right of the image. Imagine all the slopes of this area covered with dense scrub with the exclamation marks of hoop and other pines.

2 comments:

Haddock said...

Interesting site you have here. I live in Marburg in Germany so I was interested to see what Marburg in Oz was like and stumbled across your site. Good luck with your project, I have always been a fan of history so I'll be dropping by from time to time to see how you are doing! :)

Unknown said...

Have you finishe your book yet? I am intending to visit my family origins soon, in Pomerania, Poland. My folks first settled in the Two Tree Hill area and my grand father moved to Nanango in about 1913. (Family Name Bliesner and Rossow)

DennisBliesner@gmail.com