Monday 25 October 2010

The back paddock

Prism in my kitchen splitting light
Bright sunshine on the hills

Jacaranda blending into the late afternoon sky


Terrible howling in the gully

No child this

Young woman crying over her horse

Jagged words run together

JillybloodonherfacedeadyesI'msurealreadybloated

Bulldozer edges over sodden ground

Sudden tilt on the dam wall then a slide to the edge

Ten minutes and the burial is done

Angry boy kicking grass in bare feet

"I'm gonna leave this godforsaken fucking place."

All I can think, "Didn't your mum tell you to wear shoes in the long grass?"


Looking over the lush hills I count

Tiny guinea pig mound here

Horse here

Cow beneath that tree

Another horse there


Crows picking over the newly turned earth

Now I know why the back paddock is so green

No comments: