Or maybe they do and you just don't listen. A few thoughts from a long day.
1. 8am is not too early to be at a meeting.
2. An alarm going off as late as 7am is a luxury.
3. A PhD is not the hardest thing that you will do in your life.
4. You will lose an argument to an 11 year old.
5. Academia is not particularly child friendly.
6. Being overweight and unfit is not a sign of moral failure.
7. Sometimes being smart is not enough.
8. Often being smart is not enough.
9. You will still be wondering what to do with your life ten years after graduation.
10. Your [insert trade job here] will earn more than you.
11. Your [insert trade job here] may well have a better perspective on life than you do.
12. It's not just faculty meetings that will drive you to the edge of reason. Life is littered with meetings that will test your sanity.
13. No-one will care about your grasp of of critical cultural studies.
14. You won't care about your grasp of critical cultural studies as long as you have a cup of coffee and know where the restroom is.
15. You will forget most of what your dissertation was about.
16. You won't be unhappy about most of the above.