Monday 10 November 2008

Good pain

While I’m not a subscriber to the no-pain-no-gain school of thought, there are some pains that are more bearable than others. My left hand is aching from typing up the manuscript and my right hand is aching from painting. However, both pains are indicative of things actually getting done so I don’t regret them.

I had forgotten that my left little “pinkie” hurts after a lot of typing. I guess it really has been a long time since little other than words were my stock in trade. And my painting arm has never been professionally inclined. Mr Blithe was surprised the other day when I mentioned that I have never worked as physically hard before as I have on this house project. Having grown up in an urban environment, physical labour wasn’t much on the agenda. Mr Blithe grew up on farms and orchards where most days were full of hard physical work. Even the children worked on the farm when they weren’t at school. In many ways his upbringing was much more useful, or at least more practical than mine.

Owing to the aching muscles and joints, I’ll keep this brief, other than to say that there is actually an air of excitement on Blithe Hill. Things are getting done which is good because deadlines are also drawing near. A deadline is always a good motivator though!

No comments: