Tuesday 31 July 2007

A dream of wagons

Icicles on tricycles, polar bears with wings,
Snowflakes on rollerskates and snowmen that sing.
These are things we dream about on cold winter nights
Icicles riding tricycles in the moonlight.

These are the dreams of Amy, Morgan, Lulu and the Bananas in Pyjamas. Singing along to this tune today I suddenly remembered my own dream of the night before. I was in my car, late for something as usual. My anxiety level was ratcheting up as we climbed the hill. I was stuck behind a wide German wagon, laden with hay, being driven slowly and determinedly along the road. I remember wondering if the wagon had right of way, or if I was entitled to overtake. This morning on the school run, I had a flash of déjà vu with two horses pulling racing sulkies (if I have my terminology correct) along the road. Knowing that animals have right of way, I followed being until very carefully pulling out and overtaking, shaking my head at just how different my life has become.

I’m pleased though that I am dreaming about German wagons. Even my sub-conscious must be on board for this project. Or I am just becoming obsessed.

A notice dropped into my mailbox a few days ago announcing that the power will be shut off all day on August 10. My first thought was that I wouldn’t be able to use the computer. Much later came the thought that being winter, it should be fine having the fridge and freezer off for the day. Much, much later came the thought that there will be no water that day either and that it will require some preparation. With tank water, you have to use a pump to get the water from the tanks into the house and to provide pressure. No electricity means no water and definitely no pressure. Being unable to write and blog on that day will be the very least of my problems.

No comments: